Thoughts on Ending Human Trafficking


When I bring up human trafficking, also called modern day slavery, in a conversation, there are a few responses I typically get…

… “What’s that?”
… “That’s a huge problem but what can little-old-me do about it?”
… “As long as humans exist, that’ll always be a problem.”
… “I don’t want to talk about it; it’s depressing.”

In these conversations, I normally take one of three routes…

… awareness.
… behavioral change.
… dreaming.

In the case of awareness, I find myself just telling stories of the people who are trafficked and of those who rescue them.  In the case of behavioral change, I first mention the idea of purchasing products we know weren’t made by slaves and secondly, spreading awareness to others.  When someone doesn’t want to talk about it or is jaded towards to topic, I remember a famous quotation from Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea."

To change the world, we don’t start with collecting wood, assigning tasks, or just putting our noses to the grindstones.  First, our imaginations need to be awakened to the possibilities of change.

These are the ideas behind Ethos and why we’ve asked Traffick Free to partner with us for the first one.  We hope to awaken dreamers, who will not just react to emotional stories but will thoughtfully respond with world changing actions that last a lifetime.

Maybe I’m an idealistic activist, maybe I believe in making the impossible possible or maybe if there were more people like me and those like me the world would be a different place.

Ethos
Concert with a Cause
Supporting… Traffick Free
Featuring… Mathien and Fine Tuning
September 24, 2011
7pm
Purchase tickets at www.daystarcenter.org/afterdark.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails