On Motivation

One thing vital to an entrepreneur is motivation. I've been thinking recently about what motivates me. There are definitely a lot of things but ultimately it comes down to something very simple. During this time of thinking about New Year resolutions and getting motivated to actually do them, I thought it might be helpful to others for me to share what I've been thinking about. Here goes nothing.

Back in September, I heard someone say that he lives his life always remembering, "The world is not yours to save but serve the One whose it is." Just today I found a guy from circa 450 BC who summed things up for me really well. His name was Malachi and he wrote about honoring God like a child would honor her mother or father. He links honor to worship, obediently listening and doing the right thing. In fact, he wrote that those who do not honor God are those who exploit workers, take advantage of widows and orphans and are inhospitable to the homeless.

So, my motivation ultimately boils down to honoring God. It's not a guilt-based kind of thing where I feel guilty if I don't honor Him. Instead, it's a love-based system. God has put a love in my heart (His Spirit) that motivates me to worship, obediently listen and do the right thing. It's this same love that prompts me to get mad and sad in the face of exploitation, profitization, hatred, prejudice and the like. Honoring God is caring about the things He cares about – the poor, the orphan, the widow, the homeless… I would rather spend my life on these people than on myself because I know that will honor the One I love the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails